Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Site Developers Meetings
OIT staff periodically host meetings for UMContent site developers. The last was on September 17, 2012.
Main Points Discussed
- A survey is being conducted to determine current use and user satisfaction of content management systems (CMS) at the University
- The current system has a number of challenges which make it hard to use and maintain.
- An effort will begin to evaluate what direction content management should have going forward and replace UMContent.
- OIT is continuing to support UMContent.
We need to establish a process for developing requirements and moving forward. We heard three comments from past experience:
- Stakeholders would like input on future direction of the UMContent.
- The group that was formed to select the current system was too large.
- The process took too long and needs to be streamlined.
The process we’d like to suggest going forward would be:
- A working group of seven or eight stakeholders including the OIT UMContent team will be formed (the last group had more than 20 participants) to evaluate current and future direction.
- The working group is responsible for disseminating information to the broader community.
- The broader community will have the opportunity to comment on the group’s work and suggest changes.
- There will be regular meetings with the broader community to discuss progress.
- The working group will be co-led by someone outside of OIT and the Service Owner.
This is our first draft of how the process going forward should look. We look forward to receiving your feedback on this process. If you would like to volunteer to be a member of the working group or to help co-lead, contact John Starr (email@example.com).