Security Tools & Downloads
Application Security Scanning
Scan for missing security patches for applications (programs) installed on your computer, such as Java or Adobe Reader. Includes help for fixing the security issue.
Browser Software & Plug-ins Security Scanning
Scan for missing security patches or holes in browser software and plug-ins. Includes help to fix the security issues discovered.
- Qualys BrowserCheck, for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, and many other browsers (including mobile). Need to run this tool on each browser you have installed.
- McAfee SiteAdvisor helps test websites for spyware, spam and scams. The tool adds safety ratings to your browser and search results.
Secure Password Storage
- Password Safe, use a strong password/passphrase for the master password that opens your Password Safe and maintain a back up copy of your Password Safe.
System Security Check Up
Secure File Deletion
- R-Wipe & Clean: for University-owned Windows PCs only. R-Wipe & Clean securely erases the contents of the Recycle Bin, temporary files, browser cache, etc.
- Mac OS X offers built-in secure file deletion through Finder: in the Finder menu, choose the "Secure Empty Trash" option. In Terminal, the "srm" program provides secure file deletion.
Spyware Removal Utilities
- Windows Defender included with Windows Vista and Windows 7, but available for download for Windows XP and Windows 2003.
Recommendation: use your system's automatic updating feature to download and install the critical updates for you. This helps ensure the updates are compatible with your system and are applied in the correct order.
Individual updates are available to download for later installation on another computer, to reapply a failed update, or to obtain updates not covered by the automatic update process.
Mac OS X
Windows 7 or Vista
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Virtual Private Network (VPN): enables current University of Minnesota students, faculty, and staff to connect more securely to the University network when you are using wireless or a non-University Internet Service Provider, transmitting sensitive data, or accessing restricted University resources
Advanced Tools & Guides
This section contains links to advanced tools and very technical guides. Users are advised to use these tools only if they are technically savvy or are under the guidance of 1-HELP support staff.