Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Create a Guest ID
Non-University of Minnesota users can use Guest IDs in order to participate in Moodle sites, Wiki, myU portal, and other University services that allow guest access.
Create & Activate One Guest ID
Step 1: Create UofM Guest ID by filling out this online form:
- The email address that is specified on the online form will become your Guest ID. You must enter the full email address when logging in to Moodle.
- The password that is specified on the form will become your Guest ID password.
- If you need to access MyU, enter a valid UofM Internet ID in the Sponsor area. That person will receive an email to approve the access. Note that a MyU sponsored guest ID is NOT required for Moodle access.
Step 2: Activate Guest ID in Moodle by logging in to Moodle server or into one of our demonstration courses with the Guest ID and password.
- Go to Moodle 2.2 or Moodle 2.4.
- Enter your Guest ID and password. Click the Login button. Successfully logging into a Moodle server will activate your ID.
- Once activated in Moodle (added to the user database), your guest ID will act as a regular U of M Internet ID with one exception: users with a Guest ID that is not MyU sponsored will not be able to login to the myU Portal. In this case, you should go directly to the Moodle server to access your sites.
- Instructors can now manually add your Guest ID to their sites. When logged into a Moodle server, if you do not see your site, contact your instructor.
- You may self-enroll into some Moodle sites if you know site name or URL, and have the one-time self-enrollment key if any, provided by the instructor.