Moodle & NetFiles
NetFiles is a file storage application with collaboration and sharing features, which can be used by students, faculty, and staff to store up to 5 gigabytes of files. Instructors can contact their departmental IT staff to store class materials on departmental NetFiles space (or email firstname.lastname@example.org).
Users can decide to use NetFiles with Moodle if they need to exchange large files, share user-created websites, or reuse the same content in different locations. NetFiles serves as a central repository which prevents having to update content in multiple locations.
Using NetFiles with Moodle consists of the following steps: uploading to NetFiles, sharing the directory or file, and posting the link to Moodle. The first 2 steps are documented at Netfiles:
Step 1: Create a Directory and Upload a File to NetFiles
- Log in to NetFiles: http://netfiles.umn.edu.
- For instructions, go to http://www.oit.umn.edu/netfiles/upload-download/index.htm.
- From the menu on the left, select Upload & Download Files.
- Choose Use the Web Interface or whichever option you prefer.
- Follow the instructions to upload your content to Netfiles.
Step 2: Share a File or NetFiles Directory via the Ticket System
- For instructions, go to http://www.oit.umn.edu/netfiles/share-files/index.htm.
- From the menu on the left, select Share Files.
- Click Use Tickets to Share Content.
- Suggested settings:
• Viewer (Read-Only)
• Limited/Unlimited (how long you want the document/directory available)
• Moodle is already password protected, you shouldn't need a ticket pw
• Sending an email is optional.
- Copy the Ticket Link URL. It will look similar to this: https://netfiles.umn.edu/xythoswfs/webui/_xy-4053922_1-t_sTscMUyt.
Step 3: Provide a URL to the File or Directory in Moodle
- Go to your Moodle site homepage.
- Click Turn Editing On.
- From the Add a Resource dropdown menu, select Link to a course file or website.
- Type a Name, e.g., "Video for Week 2."
- Paste the URL from the NetFiles ticket into the Content > External URL field.
- Click Save Changes.