Calendaring (Google Calendar)
Organize your life with the help of Google Calendar. You can schedule your social and academic life, create personal calendars, share calendars with others, and invite friends to events.
NOTE: Google Calendar is the offical University calendaring system.
This service offering is part of Messaging & Calendaring Services.
Important Information regarding retiring features of Google Calendar: Google is retiring some little used features of Google Calendar. Here is a Link to that information.
Some important highlights:
- Calendars can be shared.
Scheduling is easy when you can see what dates and times work for everyone. Sending invitations and tracking RSVPs are just as easy.
- Collaborate with Faculty, Students, and Staff
Create a calendar for assignments, projects, and groups. Organization tools help you track classes, office hours, and add your agenda to the calendar and share it with others.
- Keep yourself organized
Task management- changing the order, to do lists, & more
- View your calendar, even without internet access.
Set up your Google Calendar for online & offline use. You can view a read-only, offline version of your calendar no matter where you are.
- Customizable reminders help you stay on schedule.
Set up reminders so that you get an email or text message about your meetings, with easy Google Calendar notification tools for today's and tomorrow's agendas.
- Your calendar is compatible with desktop applications.
Access your calendar however and whenever you want by syncing events with Microsoft Outlook, Apple iCal and Mozilla Sunbird.
- Accessing Google Calendar from your mobile device means you're not stuck at your desk computer.
Do a two-way sync to your mobile phone's built-in calendar.
Training resources and questions to commonly-asked questions are available at https://uttc.umn.edu/training/resources/google/salvair/calendar/index.jsp. Complete information about Google Calendar, including a link to Google Calender for Mobile can be found at Google Calendar Help.
The U of M Twin Cities campus holiday calendar is now available. Click Add to Google Calendar to add the Twin Cities campus holidays to your U of M Google Calendar.
Google Calendar Tip
Events imported from UMCal and other programs or calendars show up as private by default, and will show as "busy" to others, including those with whom you have shared your calendar.
You may want to review your imported events to make sure they reflect your desired privacy settings. More info
Set Resource Scheduling Rights
in Google Calendar
In Google Calendar, navigate to Settings and select the calendar name.
Google Calendar associates a user's resource scheduling rights with their viewing rights. The scheduling rights may be:
1. Auto-Accept Invitations That Do Not Conflict
- Only users with Full Viewing Rights or Manage Rights can schedule resources.
- Users with View Times Only and No Viewing Rights statuses cannot schedule resources.
2. Automatically Add All Invitations to This Calendar
- All invitations appear as Did Not Respond until calendar owner approves them.
- Users with No Viewing Rights have no scheduling rights. They can schedule the room by unchecking Show Only Available, which will reserve the room, but in an unconfirmed status.
- Users with View Times Only, Full Viewing, and Manage rights can schedule if there isn’t a conflict.
- Users with View Times Only, Full Viewing, and Manage rights can “double-book" a room by unchecking Show Only Available.
3. Do Not Show Invitations
- Users with Manage rights can schedule if there isn’t a conflict.
- Users with View Times Only and Full Viewing rights appear as if they are able to schedule, but meetings will not appear on the calendar.
- No Scheduling rights means the resource won’t show up in the list if Show Only Available is checked. All users can “schedule” resources if the box is unchecked, however this will result in the meeting either being refused, unconfirmed, or not appearing on the calendar.
To view a resource's schedule, you can subscribe to its calendar:
1. Click Settings.
2. Click Browse Interesting Calendars>>.
3. Click More.
4. Click Resources for umn.edu.
5. Find the calendar and select either Preview to view the calendar, or Subscribe to add the calendar to your list of "other" calendars.